Week 6:
Beauty from Ashes
Since its announcement to become the second temple in Provo, the Provo City Center Temple has become one of my favorite temples. Its beautiful design, use of the older tabernacle, and its location make it so special to me. This week as I attended the temple, I thought about a scripture that is always brought up when talking about this temple in Isaiah 61. I decided to study that section of scripture this week.
In this chapter, Isaiah is speaking about Christ and his ability to heal. In verse 3, the scripture related to the temple, he says:
To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.
Of course this scripture makes sense for Provo City Center Temple, as this building was caught in a fire and then brought back in beauty and given to us all to enjoy as a House of the Lord. However, as I studied this chapter and this verse., I realized that not only can it relate to the temple, but it can used to describe what he can do with us.
In my life, I have gone through a lot of "fire;" my parents got divorced, I struggle with clinical depression and anxiety, have wrestled with my identity and self-worth. In a way, I always feel like a pile of ash, burned, blown, and kicked around by life. I have felt deep sadness and felt heavy and worthless. However, there is someone who can come and heal us, to not only bring us back, but to "give us beauty from (our) ashes." This person is none other than the Savior himself, who gave everything so we could be whole. He can heal all wounds, lift us in our sorrows, and make us into the people we were made to be! After reading and realizing that, my connect to this temple, and to Christ the Great Healer, has grown. I feel closer to my Savior and know that he can make me into something beautiful and grand. He can heal us all.
I challenge all who read this to read the story of the Provo City Center Temple and to pray to know if God can do the same to you, that is, "give you beauty for ashes."

No comments:
Post a Comment