Saturday, March 25, 2017

Week 11: Prayer for Us

Week 11:

Prayer for Us

    This week in class, we have been covering the night that the process of the Atonement began for our Savior. While reading, I found a passage that was very interesting and that I would like to share.

     In John, chapter 17, Christ is going to the Garden of Gethsemane and is being followed by his apostles. In this chapter, Christ offers a prayer known as the great intercessory prayer. For a lone time, I have wondered what the word "intercessory" means; so, I decided to look it up. It means to intermediate or plead on the behalf of someone else. Having some knowledge of the chapter, I automatically thought that it was in behalf of the apostles that were with him. However, after reading, I realized it wasn't only for them; in verse 20, he says, "Neither do I pray for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word."    

    All the sudden, I realized that not only was he praying for his apostles, but for me and for everyone else who believes on him. Now this prayer grew in significance as it was meant for me as well. It helped me realized how much Jesus loves us and how much he wants for us. Now the question is: what is it that he was pleading for in our behalf? If we look at the next verse it tells us, "that they all may be one; as though, Father art in me, and I in thee..." 
      Jesus Christ's only purpose is to help us become one in purpose, thought, and dead with our Father. How dedicated was he to that purpose? Well, following this prayer, he suffered, bleed from every pore, and then died for us, so that we can become one with the Father. How wonderful it is to know that we are not alone he journey back to our Father in Heaven; Christ will do everything he can to help us there! I know that He lives and that He will continue to help each and everyone of us in our journey back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment