Week 9
All We Like Sheep
As a teenager, I remember hating the parable of the lost sheep and the good shepherd. In my mind, it was always brought up when talking about less-active members of our quorum; I can still hear my young mens leader say, "we need to help the Good Shepherd and help find those lost sheep. The reason this bothered me was that, during the time I was a teacher and priest, I struggled with severe depression. As our leaders talked about the lost sheep, I remember thinking, "But what about those injured and wounded sheep among the ninety and nine? What about us that are part of the fold, do everything we need to do, and struggle? When will He help me?"
A few days ago, I got my answer. I was reading in the Book of Mormon when Abinadi was testifying of our Savior and quotes Isaiah. In this verse he says, "All we, like sheep, have gone astray; we have turned everyone to his own way" (Mosiah 14:6 and also in Isaiah 53).
I realized that even as a struggling sheep in the ninety and nine, I had still turned my own way. I had done as Peter had when he took his eyes off of the Savior and began to sink. I had turned my gaze from him and had lost my faith in his abilities to remember my wounds. All of us in our own away turn from him, whether it be in sin or just losing faith in his ability to heal and raise us. However, we need to remember that because we all have all turned to our own ways, each of us is that lost sheep, whom the Lord will "go after that which is lost until he has found it."
I know that Christ will find everyone of us, lift us, and help us to great things. All we have to do is keep our gaze on him!

No comments:
Post a Comment